Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Cat Who Refuses To Eat Out Of A Bowl

Well, this isn't a blog about something teaching related but I wanted to share! My cat, Eli, refuses to eat out of a bowl. He takes the food out and eats it off the floor. We decided to try giving him food on a plate and he is fine with that! I didn't want to have to keep worrying about whether or not I was using the cat's plate so I found a solution! 


I bought this plate at Dollarama and used a Sharpie paint pen to make the design. I found some great suggestions on Pinterest about how to do this and figured that if it didn't work, I could buy another dollar plate!


Before I wrote on the plate, I cleaned it really well. I used rubbing alcohol to wipe the surface clean (suggested on a blog). The pen was easy to use and was very smooth. I then put it in the oven at 400 degrees. I read that you should put the mug or plate in the oven before you turn it on because it allows the dish to heat slowly and there will be less of a chance it will crack. I left it in the oven for about 20 minutes and then shut the oven off (but kept it inside so it could cool down slowly).


This is what it looks like! The blue isn't as bright but I am not sure if that is simply the colour it is meant to be when it dries or if it is because of the heat. Either way, I like the colour better now! The shine you see in the picture is because it is still wet. I scrubbed it in the sink and the colour did not come off! Yay! I read that you should hand wash any plate or mug you create a design on instead of putting it in the dishwasher.


I think he likes it! :)


Overall, I think this project was a success! We will see how it lasts after washing it a few times.

I have one happy cat!

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment