Search This Blog

Thursday, January 8, 2015

January Currently

I am linking up (for the first time!!) with Oh' Boy 4th Grade for January Currently. One of my New Year's resolutions is to blog more. I love to blog because I love connecting with other teachers around the world!


Listening: I have two cats and they are both very vocal! One is in the basement just letting me know where he is... sigh...

Loving: I got a call to teach yesterday but I had nothing Monday, Tuesday, and today! Oh the joys of a substitute teacher. I try not to worry about it too much and enjoy my time at home to do other things. When I finally get a permanent position I know I will be wishing for these days again.

Thinking: My mom and I LOVE after holiday sales. 75% off? YES, PLEASE! We found a few adorable decorations after Christmas and I wanted to enjoy them for a bit before putting them away until next year.

Wanting: It is only -16 celsius today! I say "only" because yesterday it was -28. BRR!! We don't have "cold days" in my area because we would miss too much school but we do keep the kids in for recess. They've been in all week so I am hoping they got out today. The official rule is to keep them in when it is -25 or below but it is up to each individual school to decide.


Needing: I uploaded a "Winter Bundle" for first grade and set the dates for each month's packet to be released (to give me a deadline). I love the added pressure to complete each packet! February is almost finished.

Yes: I am getting married on October 3rd, 2015!! Woohoo! FINALLY!


Maybe: I say "maybe" only because if I somehow get a long-term teaching position for next fall, we will most likely have to postpone our honeymoon. Otherwise, we are planning to keep it simple and go to Florida.

I wish: I was so lucky to have been able to teach kindergarten for a small part of last year and I would LOVE to find something for this year. We have seniority-based hiring in my board and it is extremely difficult to find a teaching job. I can dream!! :)


Thanks for reading! :)

-Ms. Makinson

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! October is a great month to be married. :) Keep blogging, learning, sharing and connecting with other teachers. Its crazy how blogging can make your teaching better - and people who don't blog don't get it - but keep at it. Hopefully it'll be something you can work in to your next interview and help land you a full time spot! Good luck. xo

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! You are so sweet.
      Blogging is definitely a fantastic way to reflect on our teaching practice and reading other blogs is my favourite place for ideas and inspiration! Thank you also for the wonderful advice. I do think that is a great point to bring up in an interview. I recently made it onto a secondary list which makes me eligible to apply to positions like maternity leaves. There is a huge surplus of qualified teachers in my area and they tell us it takes approximately 5 years (or more) after being hired onto the substitute list before we will have a permanent position. I am in year two! :) Still a long way to go!!
      Thanks again! :)
      Emily

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. Congrats! You can see your nomination here
    http://jazzyhally12.blogspot.com/2015/01/one-lovely-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wanting it to be warmer...we had indoor recess every day this week, and it has been BRUTAL! We keep the kids in if the air temp or wind chill is below 0 degrees F. I have done LOTS of GoNoodle, taken them on laps around the school, brain breaks, etc. Top the indoor recess with a dash of just getting back from winter break and a dollop of a full moon and you have a week that was CRAZY! It was hard to even get upset with the students because I new they just had lots of energy that they needed to release!

    Good luck with the wedding planning and finding a position. When I got married, I actually had my maiden names on all my resumes, and got called for an interview 2 weeks after getting married (I swear, my resume had been with that district forever!) and got the job, so had to postpone honeymoon and such too! It will happen when the time is right!

    ReplyDelete