Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Clothespins in the Classroom

Ever since I decided to dye some clothespins with food colouring, I have been searching for different ways to use them while teaching. I started my search on Pinterest (without much luck). So, I am going to let you do all the work! :) I hope this blog post can help other teachers who are looking for new ideas!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

What Else Can I "Glitter"?

Well, I have been a little obsessed with glitter over the past few months. If you follow me on Pinterest, you are probably already aware of this. After I watched this youtube video, I was inspired to try to glitter something of my own. It looks so easy right? Actually, it is!!

- Mod Podge
- glitter
- sponge brush
- tape (painter's tape would work better)
- something to mix Mod Podge and glitter in (I used a Dixie cup)
- something to glitter!

First, I taped the candle to give it a nice edge. Then, I put some glitter into a cup. I prefer fine glitter but, it is entirely up to you. Do not put all your glitter in at once. You can always add more!

Add Mod Podge slowly and stir.

The consistency should be rather thick. If it is too thin, you will have to do more coats because the glitter won't cover the surface.

Next, lather on the glitter! I put a paper underneath my candle to avoid getting glitter on my desk. Give it a chance to dry and then do another coat if you need to. I suggest taking the tape off before the glitter dries so you don't ruin the edge.

Mine looked kind of "puffy" before it was completely dry and of course had a white tint because of the Mod Podge. Do not worry, it looks much better when it dries. 

Here it is! I am very happy with the way it turned out. Now I find myself using glitter as a verb and I keep searching around the house for more things that I can "glitter".  It is so much fun! :)

Let me know if you try it,


Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dyeing Clothespins

This is a great DIY project for teachers! I can think of so many ways to use these dyed clothespins but, I think I will save that for another post. However, here is the process! It was easy and I'd do it again!

- clothespins
- food colouring
- water
- vinegar
- mason jars
- paper towel
- something you can use to stir (I used a fork!)

I bought this pack of 60 clothespins from Dollarama. I believe the tag says $1.25. They are fairly good quality. If I were to do it again, I would probably spend a little more and buy some better ones.

The first thing I would suggest that you do is take off the springs. Although, the package said they wouldn't rust, I didn't want to take the chance! Spencer and I sat outside and took them apart together. He was much faster than me!

The next step is to prepare your dye. I filled a mason jar with water and added some vinegar (not sure why this helps). Then, I added A LOT of food colouring because I wanted them to dark.

I let these blue ones sit overnight but, you can take them out much sooner than that. I stirred them to make sure they weren't stuck together.

 I am not sure if there is a set time to wait. Other than the blue ones (which I left overnight) I waited until I felt they were the colour I wanted. The red and purple ones sat in the dye for about 4 hours.

The red ones looked amazing almost instantly!

I drained out the liquid into the sink and laid them out on some paper towel to dry. The colour became darker as they dried.

Here are the red and purple ones! The red are my favourite. The purple looked awful when I first laid them out (almost brown) but, they changed to a nicer purple when they were dry. Let them dry overnight (or as long as possible) and then put the springs back on!

Here they are!! :) 

I am very excited to use them!