Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pick 3 Pinterest Picks - January Linky



Today, as I was browsing my favourite blogs, I came across a post by An Apple for the Teacher (which I adored)! This is a linky that is posted every 3rd of the month and you are welcome to join in! Click on the above picture for instructions. Here are three of my favourite Pinterest picks for January.



I love the idea behind this pin! It reminded me of a similar graph idea that I did a few years ago after going on a leaf hunt. I love using concrete materials for graphing and I like that it begins with a survey question that just begs for a prediction to be made! I can also see a discussion occurring about the results and why students prefer wearing gloves or mittens. Also you could ask whether or not the survey results would be different in the spring vs. winter. So fun!




Did you know that I adore sensory bins? 
I love creating them, I love watching students engage with them, and I LOVE playing and learning along with my students. I thought this particular idea would be perfect for a play-based/inquiry-based kindergarten classroom. I can just imagine the "I wonder" questions that may come up to be explored! 



This pin caught my eye for a few reasons. This activity is great for measurement, making predictions, graphing predictions and results, connections to science, etc. It would be so exciting to check up on the snowman after lunch, gym, or recess to see how it changed.
Also, last year when I taught kindergarten, we had a few "snow eaters" late in the year when the snow was absolutely filthy. My teaching partner and I invited a few snow eaters to pick the cleanest looking piece of snow/ice to bring into the class to watch it melt. Although it looked clean, when it melted we discovered dirty water filled with sand and small rocks. What an eye opener! I am sure this snowman would have the same effect after it melts when all that is left is "snowman soup"!


Thank you for reading. I hope you are having a terrific Tuesday.  Please consider following me on Pinterest if you haven't already! :)

-Ms. Makinson

4 comments:

  1. lol, the snow eaters experiment reminds me of why I prefer to teach the older kids...LOL. I'll bet that's a great experiment at any age, though...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! Thanks for leaving a comment! :)
      Take care,
      Emily

      Delete
  2. I love the snowman graphing idea!! I will have to remember that if it snows this winter in Texas....so far all we are getting in ice! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this linky!! Thank you for hosting! :)
      Emily

      Delete